Google
 
Web Cool Guy's Knit Blog

Thursday, January 26, 2006

My First Needle-Knit I-Cords



I have done i-cords on a spool knitter before but I had never knitted them using needles... Today I knitted three i-cords with sock yarn on size 4 double points. It was a simple, but time consuming process however I had a lot of fun doing it, and I've got a cool idea for using these which I'm saving for later. I spent most of the morning today and half of the afternoon making these while sitting on the couch with the sunlight coming through the window... with no television or other distractions... Just me, my little sock yarn, my cups of coffee, and quietness.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry new to knitting here..what is i-cord?

6:55 PM  
Blogger David said...

Leah, i-cord is simply a knitted tube which is most often used as bag handles, but can also be used as embellishments on sweaters and afghans. You can also make necklaces and other things with it depending on what yarn you use.

Here's the instructions and it's pretty easy to do.

You'll need two double point needles of appropriate size for the yarn your using. Cast on a number of stitches between 3 and 5. I cast on 4 stitches. Knit those stitches and without turning, slide your work to the right side of the needle and knit them again... Keep knitting and sliding until your i-cord is the desired length.

If you want to do this a faster way you get a spool knitter which does the same thing.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey David,
I like knitting I-cord on needles too. I made up a way to put bubbles in the i-cord - after felting you can use them as key chaines or so.

rineke
rineke.blogspot.com

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the instruction David. :o) I have so much to learn about knitting. Right now all I have are a size 6&8 needles so looks like I'll have to stock up on all the diffent sizes and varieties. Although that spool knitter sounds much easier. *L*

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha Ha..forgot to put my name in.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home